Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chopped

There is a TV show called "Chopped" where the contestants are given different ingredients and they have to create dish using those ingredients. You can add what-ever else you'd like, but you have to use the ingredients given to you. On Sunday we were invited over to our friends house for dinner and to play chopped. The rules were to make an appetizer using the following ingredients:


When I saw the bacon, I first though of Pioneer Woman's Stuffed Jalapenos, but was at a loss as to how I could use the onions and rolls. The onions made me think about a broccoli casserole dish my sister-in-law makes. I decided to take a spin off that dish. So I cooked up all the baconChopped it up
Then I grabbed broccoli, cheese and cream of mushroom soup
Cooked the broccoli for just a couple of minute in a pot of water

Melted the cheese and soup together, then I threw in a couple of onions.
Mixed the broccoli, bacon, and soup mix all together
Then I took the crescent rolls and used a pizza cutter to make triangle shapes
And spooned a little bit of the broccoli mixture on top
Cooked it in the oven 375 for about 15 minutes and it was good to go.

This is a picture of the 4 different entries. They were all really good. My favorite was the top right, Emily made a southwestern flavor, which worked very well with the bacon and onions.
If I had the chance to do it again, I'd probably cook the crescent rolls for a little bit before I added the mixture. I think it was overcooked. But it was a fun appetizer.

The Judge. He said we all won.
Oh dear. Don't worry mom, the can isn't open. I think Lily liked the cold feeling of the can.

2 comments:

  1. So how was the broccoli dish with bacon? Haven't ever tried that before...but everything with bacon seems to taste great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was actually pretty good. Next time you make the broccoli dish and you are feeling a little spicy, try the bacon. :-)

    ReplyDelete